1.1 Research Purpose
Due to develoment engineering, many installations have been created with the purpose of assisting people in the clip of danger. In such a state of affairs each second may has the deserving life of one individual, the state of affairs acquiring even harder at sea where the most of the accident or clangs are become calamities.
MOB ( Man over Board ) is one of the most awful incubuss that any seaman will of all time hold. Of class the function of preparation and following the certain regulations ( such as avoiding traveling to the ship deck at dark lonely, obey concatenation of bids in critical state of affairss or fiting with life jacket on deck ) ca n’t be skipped. But when MOB happens the most of import thing is to turn up and retrieve her/him every bit shortly as possible.
We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!
The intent of this thesis is to plan and implement a set of devices which will hold the great impact on the velocity of procedure of lasting, steer the deliverance squads to the exact place of the people in hazard at sea, inform other ships and boats that a MOB ( Man Over Board ) incident has happened. Based on mentioned grounds, this set includes a sender which is embedded in the life jacket of voyagers and receiving systems which can be placed anyplace similar cockpits in ships, ship Stationss, boats, choppers. Following subdivision will discourse about how the functionality and behaviour of these devices should be beside figure1 exemplifying these functionalities in the general position.
1.2 Problem statement
This subdivision tries to reply some inquiries:
- What is the job?
- What are the options so far ( related work ) ?
- What is the new solution?
- Recover the coordination point of the MOB, convert it to the radians and direct it.
- Send the clip since the MOB device is activated.
- Send a spot in order to bespeak the being of the orbiter position. This option can bespeak that is the coordination point is updated or old.
- 16 spot CRC ( Cyclic Redundancy Check ) in order to formalize the information.
- Receive the coordination point of the MOB devices.
- Recover the coordination point of the receiving system device and calculate distance to the MOB device.
- Calculate the way to the MOB devices at the same time.
- And some other simple characteristics like demoing system clock, speed, current coordination points and information of each MOB device.
The chief job is happening a manner to better the velocity of procedure of lasting at sea in a more unafraid manner. This can be done by unifying the other options which already exist, shooting some new thoughts to them or in the other words seeking to update them with the new engineerings ( how would be an MOB device if we wanted to contrive it today by refering current regulations and protocols? ) .
Traditional devices like personal ELTs ( Emergency Locator Transmitter ) [ 1 ] or hand-held devices such as deliverance optical maser flair are now going more complemented, specialised and organized ; presented in the footings of MOB devices.
The new solution will automatically ( by feeling humidness ) /manually uses GPS orbiter in order to turn up the exact location of people who need to be rescued and direct it to receiver side. Then this side tries to parse the standard message, by utilizing GPS orbiter informations locate it and steer the deliverance squad to the location. By refering these functionalities following undertakings are defined for each side.
Normally MOB devices works in two different ways:
I. Active: in this method MOB device ever direct a message back to the receiving system in order to inform that the wearer is safe. In instance of danger ( e.g. adult male over board, fire, deluging ) the connexion will be aborted ( degraded ) or another type of message will be sent which trigger dismay system.
II. Passive: in this method receiving system device ever listens to MOB devices without conveying. Once a massage is sent by sender exigency system will be activated. This method is in usage in this merchandise.
1.3 Existing Merchandises
In order to clear uping the purposes in the undermentioned subdivision some similar devices which are already existed in the market will be considered.
1.3.1 ACR ‘s Mini B 300 ILS H2ON [ 2 ]
This is a floatable, water/manual activated device with the working frequence of 121.5 MHz. embedded inline talker emits audio warble in order to corroborate distress signal transmittal or advising the receiving system which there is a MOB status. An Light-emitting diode is besides seeking to corroborate signal transmittal. It will be complemented with an ACR Vecta2 way finder. The of import thing about this device is utilizing the 10 old ages storage life replaceable Li camera battery. Operating life is at least 24 hours in -10? C.
1.3.2 Alert 2 Man-Overboard Alarm [ 3 ] :
This device dwelling H2O activated sender with the effectual scope of 1 stat mi and working frequence of 418 MHz. In add-on to hearable dismay the receiving system could wire to the engine in order to close down in the MOB status besides by linking a NMEA-compatible chart schemer the location of sender device can be coordinated. Transmitter device usage two 3.6 Vs lithium batteries. The singular thing of this theoretical account is the support of limitless figure of senders while others have.
1.3.3 Life Tag Wireless Man Overboard Monitoring System [ 4 ] :
Like the other devices this maker produces a set of device which consists of sender and receiving system.
The sender direct a codification back to the receiving system for good in order to corroborate wearer is safe when the pendent beacon immerse to the H2O the signal will be degraded so it wo n’t be safe any longer.
In the receiving system portion when the signal is degraded the dismay will be turned on, and the droping individual place monitored. In add-on some critical information like the clip of sinking or personal information of the sinking crew could be provided.
Transmitter beacon uses CR2 Li batteries with the appraisal of 200 on the job hours.
1.4 Target Specification
1.5 Research Methodology
The procedure of planing and Implementation of this undertaking will get down by presenting the ICs ( Integrated Circuit ) that are in used in this survey and the manner that they are manipulated. Third chapter focuses on package algorithms and the manner of interacting with package. The procedure of trial and execution will be reviewed in the Forth chapter. Finally decision every bit good as the farther work will come on the chapter five.
This research has four chief phases, first phase includes information assemblage ; for this phase literature study as a portion of qualitative attack has been done for understanding the market needs and what has been done in the same country every bit good as the related work. The 2nd phase is dedicated to planning and fixing the environment for experiment. In the 3rd phase quantitative attack is chosen because we deal with some numerical analysis and mathematical computations and statistical analysis ( delight mention to chapter three in order to happen out what has been done for mathematical computations and the trial and execution chapter for inside informations of statistical analysis ) .
2. Hardware Overview
As it was mentioned there are two different state of affairss.the one which is transmitter demand to devour power in most efficient manner, because of limited beginning of power and beginning of danger every bit much as information transmit is better. In this undertaking tried to utilize the most power efficient Integrated Circuit ( IC ) nevertheless in planing and scheduling of them this standard was concerned. The figure 2.1 Exemplifying the sender conventional and following by that every instrument of that will be discussed.
In this portion, any instrument should run into the mark specification standards in order to be chosen:
Possibly one of the most of import issues of the turning engineering in these yearss is how to increase the velocity of the processor meanwhile optimising the ingestion energy or in other words diminishing that is going a critical issue. So taking the microprocessor for any merchandise is non a affair of velocity any longer but it ‘s the compromising between power, velocity and monetary value of them.
After reexamining “ public presentation per Watt ” and “ Performance per Watt per Dollar ” charts. Obviously MSP430 is the best pick right now for our sender device but there are some extra advantages which are listed below:
- Proper data sheet: everything can be found over TI informations sheet.
- Easy to programming in comparison with others. With the kit several sample codification is provided. Besides GCC ( GNU Compiler Collection ) which is free of charge is supported.
Note: Current version ( 3.2.3 ) of GCC compiler for MSP430 processors, include full set of heading files. In this stable version all the informations types except drifting Numberss with dual preciseness are supported. Besides during installing it ‘s necessary to download some kind of spots from GNU web site.
2.1.2. GPS Module
Another device which is used in the sender portion is the Fastrax IT321 [ 7 ] GPS faculty in order to direct the exact co-ordinate of the sink individual. The faculty specification has been shown in the Table3.
The wireless bit which is in used in this device “ ADF7021 ” [ 8 ] is a high public presentation, low power, low cost, and extremely incorporate transceiver with the high working frequence scope. The specification of this bit which is described in Table 4 ( Transmitter portion ) and Table8 ( Receiver portion ) made that somehow unique in the market. “ The ADF7021 is the lone IC that meets the rigorous FCC Part 90 regulative criterion. In add-on, it has first-class wireless public presentation with best-in-class receiving system sensitivity-6 dubnium better than the nearest competitor-which translates into longer scope, ” [ 13 ] . Various of transition strategies are supported ( FSK,2FSk,4FSK, MSK and GFSK ) besides the frequence agile PLL allows the bit to be used in frequence skiping systems.
3. Software Overview
This subdivision will seek to clear up the job and happen a simple solution for both sides of setup. Another purpose is to animate the ways that we can unite those hardware ( which are explained in old subdivision ) in order to acquire the coveted functionality.
Figure 3.1 illustrates the overview of the sender device. First of all it is acquiring ON manually or by feeling humidness so until it finds a orbiter and a validated coordination point sends the device ID and clip since the device turned ON, once it finds more than 4 GPS satellite the message will be updated by coordination points of the device. In the undermentioned subdivisions functionality of each IC and its dependences with other ICs will be discussed.
3.1.1 Sensing humidness
3.1.2 Retrieve and cipher Device Coordination
There are two standard protocols available in the Fastrax IT321 faculty NMEA [ 15 ] and Sirf binary protocol [ 16 ] after managing NMEA message we found out, Binary protocol is much faster chiefly because of the type of message that can be retrieved. While latitude and longitude in NMEA message need about 20 bytes of memory, Sirf binary needs 8 signed bytes in the memory. Furthermore by utilizing NMEA informations should be transformed from byte to integer while in the Sirf binary protocol merely switching the information is sufficient.
So we decided to utilize Sirf binary protocol in this undertaking. To utilize this protocol, USART ( Appendix A ) port of MSP430 should be initialized decently. The scene of the processor is as follows
3.1.3 Sending message via wireless to receiver side
Sending informations via wireless has 2 chief parts: turning on the wireless and registries low-level formatting, directing package and turning off. Each of these stairss will be discussed in the undermentioned subdivisions.
Turning on the wireless and registries low-level formatting
By altering the province of the CE pin of the ADF7021 wireless to one the whole bit will be enabled and ready to work. For the intent of enhance the effectual scope of the wireless ; an amplifier is used beside the wireless bit which should be turned on after 500 microseconds.
In order to configure ADF7021 we are covering with 16, 32 spot registries. First 4 LSB ( Least Significant Bit ) of each registries are dedicated for the registry addresses. The theoretical account of reading and composing to the registry which is a spot complicated has been explained in Appendix C.
Sending package and turning off
In order to run package transmittal decently, we need to pull offing informations by specifying a package construction. The standards that should be concerned for this intent are:
- Due to the tonss of energy that wireless bit consumes in comparison with other french friess in our board, our package should be every bit short as possible because when longer informations package means the longer clip that wireless is on which consequence in devouring more power.
- On the other manus package should incorporate all the indispensable information in add-on to the information that makes the package unique.
But before directing each package, 40 spots of preamble and 2 bytes of start of frame ( 0x1906 ) will be sent. As the names indicates device ID is a alone ID which attach to the MOB device during the production procedure. The 2nd portion of messages has 16 spots which foremost 12 spot from left indicates the figure of proceedingss since the MOB is activated or in other word clip in H2O. Following 3 spots belong to sort of the message. Right now in this version we have merely one sort of message so these 3 spots are invariables and fixed to be 6 and the last spot is bespeaking that whether MOB has entree to the valid orbiters or no or in the other word it means that the informations that traveling to be sent are updated or no. if this spot set to one it means that device has a clear position to the GPS orbiters and if its set to zero it means there is non. The following piece of the message contains the latitude and longitude that was calculated before when the GPS faculty retrieves the information from the orbiters but as it takes about 3 proceedingss in order two find the orbiters and have the validated informations the default value for these two byte are 0xFFFF which will non organize anyplace in the Earth. Last 16 spots are the CRC16 ( information about CRC16 can be found in Appendix D ) .
Because of following grounds, timer is indispensable for this undertaking:
- In order to salvage every bit much as power, each clip after directing the packages all the constituents in the device goes in standby manner for the specific sum of clip.
- As it was mentioned antecedently, since the device gets activated the clip in the graduated table of proceedingss should be send to the receiver side continuously.
For these purpose internal timer of MSP4302122 in up manner has been used, as figure 3.3 shows in this manner counter increases from zero to the desired value which can be set in the TACCR0 registry repeatedly, when it reaches to the this value an interrupt will be generated and the counter value restarts automatically. We decided to acquire interrupt in each 10 msecs, because this version of undertaking tallies under velocities of 1 MHz every 10000 clock rhythm will be 10 msecs so the TACCR0 registry value should be set to 10000. So each hundred times ( 1 minute ) the times in H2O value increases by 1.
But for go forthing the device in standby manner we need to halt the processor in the specific sum of clip. MSP430 processor has 5 manners except active manner which everything is active, 4 low power manners exist. Because the internal clock of msp430 ( SMCLK ) is used in this undertaking we had to take a low power manner which internal DCO and SMCLK being active ever even in standby manner. Table 3.5 shows the different maps of operation manners of processor.
- ELT. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.avionix.com/store/elt.html, 2009.
- ACR ‘s Mini B 300 ILS H2ON. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.acrelectronics.com/minib300/minib300h2on.htm, 2009.
- Alert 2 Man-Overboard Alarm. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.alert2.com/ , 2009.
- Life Tag Wireless Man Overboard Monitoring. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.raymarine.co.uk/products/lifetag/e12185/ , 2009.
- Atmel. [ Online ] [ Cited: November 28, 2009. ] www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8067.pdf.
- Microchip. [ Online ] [ Cited: November 28, 2009. ] hypertext transfer protocol: //www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx? dDocName=en026448.
- Fastrax IT321 GPS. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.fastraxgps.com/products/gpsmodules/300series/it321/ .
- ADF7021. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.analog.com/en/rfif-components/rfif-transceivers/adf7021/products/product.html.
- STMicroelectronics. [ Online ] [ Cited: November 28, 2009. ] hypertext transfer protocol: //www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx? N=4294966131 & A ; Keyword=STM32F103R8T6.
- MAXIM. [ Online ] [ Cited: November 28, 2009. ] http: //datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS89C450-K00.pdf.
- Honeywell. [ Online ] [ Cited: November 2009, 28. ] hypertext transfer protocol: //www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/hmc1055.pdf.
- YAS529. s.l. : hypertext transfer protocol: //www.global.yamaha.com/news/2006/20060726.html.
- Scouras, Ismini. Narrowband RF bit delivers high receiving system sensitiveness. [ Online ] eeProductCenter, October 10, 2006. [ Cited: November 29, 2009. ] hypertext transfer protocol: //www.commsdesign.com/new_products/showArticle.jhtml? articleID=193402750.
- TI. [ Online ] Texas Instruments, 1 3, 2010. hypertext transfer protocol: //focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/msp430f2122.html.
- NMEA Refrence Manual. [ Online ] 2009. hypertext transfer protocol: //www.usglobalsat.com/downloads/NMEA_commands.pdf.
- Sirf Binary Protocol Refrence Manual. [ Online ] 2009. hypertext transfer protocol: //www.navmanwirelessoem.com/assets/files/Docs/SiRF % 20Binary % 20Protocol % 20Reference % 20ManualR2.4.pdf.
- MSP430, User Guide. [ Online ] hypertext transfer protocol: //focus.ti.com/lit/ug/slau144e/slau144e.pdf.